Monday, September 10, 2012

Thoughts on readings 2


       I think marriage is important. I think marriage should be between two people who love and care for each other. Of course, that isn’t the way it always works. Some people get married for the wrong reasons. That explains why divorce rates are so high. Some people get married so they will receive the benefits of marriage. In some cultures, there are even arranged marriages so some couples don’t have a choice. I agree that marriage isn’t for everyone. Some people just aren’t ready to make such an important commitment that could change their lives. Some people honestly don’t take marriage seriously enough. Some people just marry so they can get out of their parent’s home. That happened to a person I know and the marriage ended in a divorce after of couple of years. Marriage isn’t a simple decision because it’s life changing. I find it strange that in ancient Rome, a man wasn’t a citizen until he was married. Just shows another way how different life is now. I find it surprising that marriage cases went all the way to the Supreme Court. I had no idea that there were four concepts of marriage that the court could decide. The concepts make sense though. I like that marriage in the US is considered to be unique. I’m not entirely sure where I stand on same sex marriages. Religiously, I would be against it but morally I’m not so sure. I think it’s important to be with the person you love. Marriage could be considered a right in searching for the pursuit of happiness. The writer in the Reading America made interesting points about same sex couples not having all the rights that other marriages have. Honestly, I can’t really say if I’m for or against it. I haven’t figured that out yet. 
       The ideas in The Little Seagull were helpful. The clustering reminded me of the web for brainstorming that I learned years ago. The information about paragraphs was interesting. I never thought to use an analogy in my writings for English class. I never really used parallel structure. I always had a hard time identifying it and fully understanding how to properly use it.

4 comments:

  1. I would organize a little better. Instead of saying "I think" continuously, go on to explain why you think. I believe you have the right idea, I just think that your phrasing and organization(paragraphs, etc.) would make your essay great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you showed both aspects of how you viewed it morally and religiouslly. I thought that your last paragraph about the little Seagull handbook was a bit out of place. It didn't really have anything to do with what the rest of your blog was about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had several great points about marriage at the beginning of your blog. I would have loved to hear a clearer definition of what you think marriage is, but as I read on I realized you didn't have a clear definition for yourself yet! I think it's good that you directly stated that you were unsure about where you stood about homosexual marriage. It helped me better understand where you are coming from! At some point, however, I would consider spending some time making a decision on where you stand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the first comment. You used " I think" a lot, but it is a really good essay and the ideas are well presented.

    ReplyDelete