From what I gathered from the readings are ways to help form arguments. The readings described different formats and ways for people to develop arguments in essays. In They Say I Say, different ways of starting the arguments were given. Examples of a point being assumed or implied were given. So rather than the point that other person is arguing for the writer states in a way that is implied so the audience has to figure it out. This way of thinking can really get audience thinking about the argument. In the book, it is mentioned that it is important to remind that audience what the writer is arguing against. If the audience isn’t reminded, they may forget or become confused about what the writer is talking about. I agree that it is okay to summarize the other person view point so the audience can hear both sides. I don’t see why the writer would be worry about changing their mind about their own ideas after reading what the opposing person has to say. If the writer truly feels strong about their opinion they’re not going to it over what the other person says. I don’t quite understand that by summarizing, you’re putting yourself in the other person’s place. I mean if you’re summarizing you’re just telling about the other person ideas to inform the audience of what you’re going against. I don’t see how you’re putting aside your own ideas.
I think it is an idea to summarize the ideas of what you’re opposing in your first paragraph and then go into your own ideas and beliefs in your second and third paragraph of the argument. I agree that people use verbs that have more tone to it so the point can be emphasized.
I can in a way see where you are coming from in a since contradicting ourselves. By saying one thing then saying another.
ReplyDelete